Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Believe

Pin It Now! It's my word for 2012.



I gave up making long lists of New Year's Resolutions a few years ago.  Not that I don't ever make lists or set goals for myself, it's just that I am the type of person who is vulnerable to becoming a slave to tasks. 

If it gets written down on a to-do list, it MUST be crossed off!  I hate failure and have a difficult time shrugging my shoulders and thinking, Hey, no problem.  Better luck next time.  To me, to make a resolution is to be determined no matter what to bring to pass whatever it is you have resolved to do.  To not do it = failure.

I find it more agreeable to my personality to make a Hopes, Dreams, or Wishes list , and to truly live my life according to James 4:15.  I know in that particular context the heart of the matter is about boasting and bragging, and I am definitely NOT saying that people who make resolutions are sinning.  NOT. AT. ALL.

I am more at peace with myself, and I don't have to live with the constant burden of you need to get this done, you need to go here or there, you can't eat or do that,  or you must be a size whatever by this time next year, etc.  I just want to take life one day at a time and to be open to whatever God has for me.  Way easier said than done, but it is my heart's desire.

So, why the one word for 2012?  I read this post by Kristen yesterday, and thought it was such a great idea and was inspired to do the same.  As I was taking my makeup off last night I wondered how in the world was I going to come up with just one word?  I am a girl of many words!

Believe seemed to be front and center, but I still wasn't sure. It didn't seem like the most interesting word, and didn't I already believe?  But this morning as I was reading Shiloh's Bible story that coincided with our Sword Fighting study, I believe it was confirmed. 

In the story, Peter is bravely stepping out onto the water but starts to sink because he takes his eyes of of Jesus and looks at the threatening waves.  Jesus says in the Day by Day Kid's Bible, "Your faith is so small!  Why didn't you believe?"  In that split second I truly felt as if God were speaking directly to me.  So much so that I had to fight back a few tears.  (Seriously didn't want my daughter to think I was a total weirdo.)

Humility replaced the pride buried deep in my heart, and I realized that I still lack faith and trust in my God.  Doubt remains a constant, though subtle, companion. 

So for 2012 I am believing . . .

  • that all things are possible with God
  • that I can do all things through Him
  • that He will direct my paths
  • that He will do amazing things in my life despite my weaknesses, lack of finances, etc.
  • that He will bring about my hopes, dreams, and desires according to His will
  • that He has my life in His hands, and that He is trustworthy

*My runner-up word is follow.  (Told you one word is so hard!!)  I must continue to follow God on the path He has for my life and to keep my eyes on Him.  Discontent and even jealousy so easily set in when my eyes wander to others' paths. 


May 2012 be a year of blessings. Happy New Year to all of you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...